Learn the basics of Microsoft Azure and see how SQL Server on Azure VMs (Infrastructure-as-a-Service) and Azure SQL Databases (Platform-as-a-Service) work. This concise book shows you how to deploy, operate, and maintain your data using any one or a combination of these offerings along with your on-premise environment.
Pro SQL Server on Microsoft Azure is a quintessential book for any IT professional who is planning to host their data on Microsoft Azure. This book will not only equip you with the tips, tricks, and tools to manage SQL Server offerings on Azure, but will also help you in deciding between PaaS, IaaS, or hybrid.
In the ever-changing world of operations, IT administrators and SQL Server DBAs often find that the biggest challenges occur once they’ve deployed to the cloud. This is precisely why Pro SQL Server on Microsoft Azure was written; it will help you master today’s cloud world.
What You'll Learn
- Understand the Microsoft Azure IaaS architecture
- Work with Azure Storage and Networking
- Deploy SQL Server on Azure VMs using best practices
- Apply effective security principles to SQL Azure Databases
- Measure and optimize the performance of SQL Server offerings on Azure
- Implement Business continuity and disaster recovery options with Azure SQL Databases
Who This Book Is For
This book is for IT admins and SQL Server DBAs who are managing or would be managing SQL Server deployments on Microsoft Azure.v>
1. Pranab Mazumdar
Pranab is an Escalation Engineer and is aligned with the SQL group for past 10 years. He has a vast experience primarily in SQL Server Engine and Performance areas. He has created or contributed to training courses, supportability reviews/docs, KB articles / Whitepapers for the Microsoft Knowledge base. He works very closely with the SQL Server Product Team to fix bugs within the SQL Server Product thereby making SQL a better and Preferred RDBMS. With mobile and cloud as the next strategy he has been aligned with SQL Azure DB (PaaS) and also SQL Server running on Azure VMs (IaaS) . Apart from SQL he has also been working with operational Insight formerly known as System Centre Advisor, migrating and helping create new set of rules and validation process. He holds a number of Microsoft certifications like MCAD, MCSD, MCDBA, MSCE, MCTS , MCITP and MCT since 2005. Pranab likes to be connected to customers and he has been a speaker in TechEd, GIDs, SQL Saturday , SQL Talks, and other Community UG Events.
2. Sourabh AgarwalSourabh Agarwal has over 9 years of SQL experience and currently works as a Senior Premier Field Engineer at Microsoft, specializing in proactive and advisory consulting assistance for SQL Server environments. As part of the Microsoft India Services Team, he has worked on SQL Server environments for leading corporations in various business domains, helping them to design, deploy and support for mission- and business-critical applications. Apart from his daily work with customers, Sourabh owns SQLUninterrupted.com and is a frequent speaker at various SQL Server community events and Microsoft Events.
3. Amit Banerjee
Amit Banerjee has a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science engineering and currently works as a Senior Premier Field Engineer at Microsoft specializing in proactive and advisory assistance for SQL Server environments. In the past he has worked for the SQL Server Support team in various capacities including the Microsoft SQL Server Escalation Services team. Here he specialized in reactive assistance which involved troubleshooting complex SQL Server issues and debugging. He has worked on environments of a varied scale which involves 100 users to 10 million users. He is also a co-author of "Professional SQL Server 2012: Internals and Troubleshooting" and contributed to various tools like SQL Nexus, PSSDIAG Manager and SQL Server Backup Simulator. He is a regular speaker at various conferences and events like TechEd, SQL Saturdays, User Group Meetings.