Twenty years since the first edition was published in the Germanlanguage, and just over fifty years since the launch of theEarth's first ever artificial satellite Sputnik 1, this thirdedition of the Handbook of Space Technology presentsin fully integrated colour a detailed insight into the fascinatingworld of space for the first time in the English language.
Authored by over 70 leading experts from universities, researchinstitutions and the space industry, this comprehensive handbookdescribes the processes and methodologies behind the development,construction, operation and utilization of space systems,presenting the profound changes that have occurred in recent yearsin the engineering, materials, processes and even politicsassociated with space technologies and utilization. The individualchapters are self-contained, enabling the reader to gain a quickand reliable overview of a selected field; an extensive referenceand keyword list helps those who wish to deepen their understandingof individual topics.
Featuring superb, full colour illustrations and photographythroughout, this interdisciplinary reference contains practical,hands-on engineering and planning information that will beinvaluable to those on a career path within space technology, orsimply for those of us who'd like to know more about thisfascinating industry.
Main section headings include:
* Introduction (historical overview, space missions)
* Fundamentals (orbital mechanics, aerothermodynamics/reentry, space debris)
* Launch Vehicles (staged technologies, propulsionsystems, launch infrastructure)
* Space Vehicle Subsystems (structure, energy supply,thermal controls, attitude control, communication)
* Aspects of Human Flight (man in space, life supportsystems, rendezvous and docking)
* Mission Operations (satellite operation, control center,ground station network)
* Utilization of Space (Earth observation, communicationnavigation, space astronomy, material sciences, space medicine,robotics)
* Configuration and Design of a Space Vehicle (missionconcept, system concept, environmental simulation, system design,Galileo satellites)
* Management of Space Missions (project management,quality management, cost management, space law)